The Famous Mahavir Mandir at Patna has unknown origins in History, though some believe that it was originally established by Swami Balanand, an ascetic of Ramanandi sect in around 1730 A.D.
The Temple was in the possession of the Gosain Sanyasis till 1948 A.D
In 1948 A.D. it was declared a public temple by Patna High Court. A new, magnificent temple was reconstructed between 1983 and 1985 at the old site at the initiative of Kishore Kunal with devotees’ contribution and now it is one of the most magnificent temples in the country.
The entire reconstruction of the temple was carried out on war footing without asking for any subscription. Donations came voluntarily because people had faith in the persons associated with the ‘Kaya-Kalpa’ of the temple. Thousands of devotees participated in the kãr-sewa conducted during the reconstruction of the temple.